Here is the scenario: you have a 16×9 presentation that needs to be changed to 4×3. Easy! PowerPoint has a great feature to change the aspect ratio (via Page Setup) and it keeps everything proportional (eg. circles stay round) and adjusts the position of everything to fit the new slide layout – but things don’t go as smoothly as planned.
1. Here is your 16×9 slide (download this PowerPoint 2013 Resize Test Slide):
2. Go to DESIGN > SLIDE SIZE > STANDARD 4×3
3. Here is the disaster you get when converting to 4×3
Note: This problem is not the size selected (4×3), it happens when going from any size to another size. And this is not a bug, but by design (I really like how Echo Swinford describes this as “a bug by design”). What you end up with is:
– Correct page size – yay!
– Custom background – gone
– Custom fonts – gone
– Custom color scheme – gone
– Any template customization – gone
Part 2 and 3 of this series detail what is happening behind the scenes in PowerPoint and a (fairly) simple step-by-step solution.
– Troy @ TLC