I know the developers at Microsoft have a big job. I know they create updates to help all users. I also know they do a lot of testing before anything is released (almost too much testing as it slows down their release cycle by months and years…). I know the focus is on the newer PowerPoint format, but I still have PPT 2003 (and PPT 2010) installed on all computers here.
A small small security update on Tuesday, April 12, 2011 has brought countless users to a stop as it looks at okay content as a potential threat – offers no options to override its action – and only allows presentations to be opened in a useless state – arghhh!
Here is the fix:
1. Close all applications.
2. Open the control panel (START >> CONTROL PANEL)
3. Select UNINSTALL A PROGRAM
4. Select VIEW INSTALLED UPDATES
5. Scroll down list and select SECURITY UPDATE FOR POWERPOINT 2003 (KB2464588) POWERPOINT
6. Select UNINSTALL
7. Follow any prompts to confirm. When done, open any PPT 2003 presentation as normal with no need to restart computer.
– Troy @ TLC