A very nice design strategy used in print design is creating callouts and bold graphics with text created from the negative space.
This same style is easily created within PowerPoint for slide design. The above example image was created in PowerPoint 2013 – here is how (thanks to Michelle on the TLC Creative design team for this tutorial).
By using PowerPoint Combine Shapes tools (Combine, Intersect, Fragment, Subtract), the process is pretty easy.
1. Add a shape of your choice – I am using a tall vertical bar.
2. Add a separate text box with the text of your choice and format as desired – I am using “TLC Creative” in a typography styled stacked layout.
3. Select both objects – Note: Select the RECTANGLE first.
4. With both objects selected, go to FORMAT >> Merge Shapes >> Combine
5. The text is “cut out” of the rectangle. Note: The text is no longer editable as it has been converted to a custom vector shape.
6. The shape is editable, like any other shape. All shaping styling options are available: fill color, gradient fill, transparency, bevel, drop shadow and more.
To really see the effects, place an image behind the new shape. A few examples: