This is can be a great visual effect that can make large images out of very small files. The concept of using repeating pattern images to fill a large object has been used, by me, since the 1980’s for web design. It is still a valuable tool to use for presentations today. Here is an example:
1. Here is my very small image. It is a .png image, 102×102 pixels and only 2KB file size.
2. Here is the large rectagle shape on my slide.
3. I then change the fill from SOLID to PICTURE OR TEXTURE FILL, then FILE and finally choose my seamless texture image.
4. This is the first result – which is not the final result.
5. Click TILE PICTURE AS TEXTURE.
6. This is now the same image. It can be resized, to any size and the pattern background does not distort or loose quality.
7. In addition any of the formatting options can be applied, because it is a PowerPoint shape. Here I used the 3D Rotation and a drop shadow to create a new, very small file size, image for my slide.
– Troy @ TLC